I came across a really bizarre issue on my Mac regarding the toolbar icons in Word (and Excel). For example, the save button now contained an icon of scissors and the up arrow on the scroll bar was now the spell check icon. Needless to say, this mix-up is less than convenient.
I did a bit of research online and found several threads talking about the issue:
Sounds like a very old copy of Office for Mac, probably Office 2001 which predates the first carbon version (Office vX). Classic isn't supported on Macs after PPC running on Tiger so if this is a new Mac then it isn't going to run any really old applications although it should run PPC OS X binaries albeit somewhat slowly compared with native apps.
You can read about each proposed solution in detail by visiting the respective link above, however what did the trick for me was the following one:
Microsoft Office 2011 For Mac Icons Free
Microsoft Office 2011 For Mac Icons Shortcut
- Microsoft Office for Mac adds rich new features to the familiar Office applications you already know, helping you to manage your home and business the way you want. Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 includes: Outlook for Mac 2011. Manage your email and calendars with features that simplify staying connected and up to date.
- For example, the save button now contained an icon of scissors and the up arrow on the scroll bar was now the spell check icon. Needless to say, this mix-up is less than convenient. I did a bit of research online and found several threads talking about the issue: Microsoft Office: Mac 2011 Toolbar Icons.
- Free Microsoft Office Mac 2011 icons! Download 532 vector icons and icon kits.Available in PNG, ICO or ICNS icons for Mac for free use.
- When you make your own toolbar in Office 2011 for Mac, some of the commands you’ve chosen might not have nice icons, or any icon for that matter. You can control whether to display a command’s icon, text description, or both from the Customize Toolbars and Menus dialog.
- Ensure all Microsoft products are quit, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Communicator, etc.
- Launch Terminal:
Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app
- Type in
cd /Libraryand press ENTER.
- Type in
sudo mv Automator Automator_Old, hit ENTER.
- Enter your Mac password and hit ENTER again.
- Launch Microsoft Word.
- Go to:
Help > Check for Updatesand then press the “Check for Updates” button.
- You should now see an update; for me it was update 14.2.5.
- Quit Microsoft Word and install the update.
- Go back to Terminal and type:
sudo mv Automator_Old Automatorfollowed by your password again.
- Launch Microsoft Word and your icons should be restored.
Microsoft Office 2011 For Mac Icons Download
I think Microsoft Office tried to update some time ago, but failed. I didn’t worry much about it then, but that could have been the catalyst for the icons getting mixed up. By temporarily moving the
Automator folder, it will download and install the update again. After that’s completed, we just move the
Automator folder back.
Microsoft Office Mac 2011 Download
I hope this helps someone else. It definitely beats reinstalling and reconfiguring all Microsoft products again — especially Outlook.